New visitor restrictions are in place due to COVID-19 (coronavirus). Learn more and review the latest information about the virus.
TIps for Loss Survivors
- Structure your time—keep busy
- Do not try to numb the pain with drugs/alcohol
- Reach out to other people, talk about what you are feeling
- Keep a journal to share memories, write letters, express thoughts/feelings
- Avoid making big life changes for several months. Continue your normal pattern of activity as best you can
- Maintain good nutrition (even when you don’t feel like it)
- Make as many daily decisions as possible that will give you a feeling of control over your life
- Express your feelings as they arise—be honest about your feelings
- You’re normal and having normal reactions to overwhelming events—don’t label yourself “crazy”
- Understand that recurring thoughts, dreams or flashbacks are normal. Don’t try to fight them—they’ll decrease over time and become less painful
- Give yourself permission to feel rotten and share your feelings with others. Oftentimes it just takes one person to open up in front of others before they too share many similar feelings. Take a chance.
- Do things that feel good to you